Health, Safety, and General Tips for Successful Toner Refilling
Health and Safety Guidelines
- HP describes toner "a non-toxic substance composed plastic, iron, and a small amount of pigment."
Even though toner powder is non-toxic, it can be an irritant to the lungs and eyes. It is therefore advisable that you refill in a well-ventilated area. If you plan on refilling often or if you suffer from a breathing condition such as asthma or bronchitis, a dust mask would be advisable.
- If you do inhale toner directly, you should take a break to fresh air and consult a medical professional if prolonged effects occur.
- If you get toner in your eyes, flush them immediately with water for up to 15 minutes.
- Toner is easily removed from skin with soap and cold water.
- Never use a vacuum cleaner to clean a toner spill or to empty a cartridge. To clean a spill, use paper towels. To empty a cartridge, shake and tap out the toner from the appropriate hole, according to our refill instructions.
- Only use our toner holemaking tool in a well-ventilated area.
- Unplug the toner holemaking tool immediately after use to prevent fire.
- Keep the toner holemaking tool away from any flammable objects.
- Toner refilling is not recommended for children.
General Guidelines for Successful Refills
- Never use water to clean a cartridge.
- Unless specifically mentioned in the instructions, never drill a hole into a cartridge with an electric drill. Use our toner holemaking tool instead.
- If the instructions mention to empty the "toner compartment" thoroughly, it is essential that you do so. Turn the cartridge over some disposable towels or a garbage can and shake and tap it until all the toner is removed. Keep tapping until you notice that no more toner comes out of the hole. This implies that the compartment has been completely emptied.
- Toner will not permanently stain clothing. However, it is always advisable to wear older clothes while refilling. If you do get toner on your clothes, wash them with cold water. Never wash a toner-stained garment in warm water.
- Always shake the toner bottle well before opening. This will make it make it much easier to pour toner and will avoid messes.
- Never refill in a room with carpeting to avoid stains. Toner refilling is best done in a garage, utility room, or outdoors (when not very windy).